Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Triathlon aftermath

So another strongman has passed and it wasn't without its ups and downs, luckily almost everyone I was cheering for managed to finish the race - and in a race that lasts for 14 hours that is not a small thing.

In the afternoon I was standing and talking to one of my english teachers, in between running up to runners and attaking their legs in the hope of removing the time chips from their legs before they vanish through the arch. I gave my usual spiel about how I would never want to try a triathlon like this because you see so many people collapsing, vomiting and generally being taken away in wheelchairs. Usually people laugh and agree with me. That is after all the Japanese way, and the way which makes me feel like I have the potential to be a professional comedian (which perhaps I could in Japan, but anywhere else the blank stares would be unbearable). However this teacher floored me by saying 'that is probably because you have never experienced anything like that before'. Ok so it wasn't rocket science, but it was refreshingly straightforward. And it got me thinking, she is right, I have never experienced anything like that before. So I am retaking up running (the fact that I have gained a bit of weight recently is obviously unrelated). In all honesty I am loving it. I look forward to it all week. This is from a girl who SWORE she would never run and hated it. Well guess what, I was lying because I have always known I am not naturally good at running. All these years I have harboured secret dreams of being able to run well.

It should come as no surprise to you that I am still not good at running but someday...
Sooner or later Japan changes all ALTs in small ways or gives them opportunities to try something they always wanted to.

No comments:

Post a Comment